The Technology Coalition, Inc. (TC) is an industry 501(c)(6) trade association whose mission is to eradicate online child sexual exploitation. Originally formed in 2006 by a small collection of internet companies, it is now home to a wide range of tech companies united in purpose but diverse in backgrounds, sizes, audiences and geographies.
The main projects of the TC in recent years have focused on knowledge sharing, but in June 2020, the Coalition announced a re-doubling of its efforts in the form of Project Protect, A Plan to Combat Online Child Sexual Abuse (full announcement here). Project Protect features 5 pillars of strategic engagements.
- Tech Innovation,
- Collective Action,
- Independent Research,
- Information and Knowledge Sharing, and
- Transparency and Accountability.
In order to ensure the successful execution of the TC’s objectives, Project Protect calls for a restructuring of the membership and corporate governance of the TC and transitioning the organization from a volunteer-led initiative to a robustly staffed organization. As such, the TC now seeks an Executive Director to lead the organization on its ambitious path.
The TC seeks an experienced Executive Director who will be responsible for all aspects of substantive and operational work including but not limited to:
- Executing the strategic pillars of Project Protect, including delivering programs
- Overseeing the corporate governance of the organization
- Liasing with the Board of Directors, general membership, and other external stakeholders
- Finalizing a multi-tiered membership structure for the sustainability of the organization
- Facilitating collaboration amongst member companies
- Recruiting and mentoring new staff and new member companies
- Coordinating multi stakeholder input
- Managing internal and external communications of the organization and the organization’s strategic partnerships with external stakeholders
- Hiring staff and overseeing administrative/financial operations
The ideal candidate will be expert at organizational management, have a background in online safety issues and a clear understanding of how child sexual exploitation and abuse impacts digital platforms. As the TC represents a variety of platforms, the ability to juggle divergent interests and perspectives from multiple stakeholders is of significant importance. Applicants should understand the challenges that technology companies of all sizes have in addressing abuse of member platforms and be capable of integrating divergent needs into a coherent and sustainable organizational program. The ideal candidate will recognize and be able to balance the importance of reducing the harm associated with content and behavior on technology platforms with society’s expectations for privacy, as well as principles of free expression and other fundamental rights.
- 15+ years in senior leadership roles within law enforcement, technology, non-profit, or start-up organizations;
- A stellar leadership track record of scaling an organization, ideally in government, the private sector, or civil society;
- Significant knowledge of or operational experience with child safety and technology policy issues;
- Proven track record in operations, communications, and complex stakeholder management;
- Experience engaging with boards of directors, senior technology company leaders, government officials, the press / media, civil society and academia in national and international fora; and
- Bachelors’ degree or equivalent is required, post- graduate study welcomed.
The Technology Coalition, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
To apply, email a resume and cover letter outlining your interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.